Thursday, April 16, 2015

Text Response

Why Helping Others Makes Us Happy by Philip Moeller



In this article it talks about how volunteering gives people a boost of self esteem and self awareness. The article even talked about how even how volunteering boosted student’s grades and even lowered drug rates. I myself have had my fair share of volunteer experiences and I can say it does make a person feel better when they can help others but it takes a focused and driven person to continually volunteer and actually make a difference in a persons life.When I first started tutoring my next door neighbor, Brianna, I only saw it an obligation that took up a lot of my time. But as our tutoring sessions continued I realized that this 2nd grader needed someone to care. At a time when her new baby brother had become the center of her family’s attention. From then I wanted to be there and wanted to take our sessions more seriously. Motivation is a huge part of giving back or volunteering because just being there physically doesn't mean you’re putting in your best efforts or making a real difference. I wanted to make a difference in this 2nd grader’s academic and emotional life just like my principle had done for me. Although our sessions still took up a lot of my time I didn't mind because, they were no longer an obligation. I saw them as a friend helping a friend. My act of kindness towards Brianna allowed her to improve her reading skills, which made her happy that she wasn't struggling anymore. I agree with this article because when your able to help another person it lets you know that your in a place where you can either financially, intellectually, or physically help somebody be to a place where you are and it feels good.


3 comments:

  1. Having a heart and doing things like this is what makes the world a better place. There's not that many people anymore who would like to help others out and its ridiculous. I love helping and putting smiles on other peoples faces, it makes me feel good like I did something right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a heart and doing things like this is what makes the world a better place. There's not that many people anymore who would like to help others out and its ridiculous. I love helping and putting smiles on other peoples faces, it makes me feel good like I did something right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up with the weird font changes? Also I thought you were being paid to help her? No?

    ReplyDelete